It’s probably no surprise to anyone that visits this blog, but our family is moving to Hawaii… in less than 72 hours now. I’ve avoided blogging about it for the last five weeks that we’ve officially known, because I’ve been extremely busy with all the preparations, but mostly, I’ve been too sad to sit down and write about it. Maybe that sounded wrong- I’m not sad at all to be moving to Hawaii. It’s a great move for our family. James is really excited about the new job at BYUH, we get to live near extended family for the first time, and you really can’t beat the scenery, beaches, weather and outdoor activities in Hawaii. I’m not complaining at all. I know it’s really lucky to have found a job there without even really looking; especially one takes care of the move, but despite all of these things… I’m leaving Boston. And that what is making me so sad this week (and making me sob audibly while watching ‘Fox and the Hound’ with Louis, I’m turning into such a sap). There are several things that make me sad about leaving. Below is just a recap of some of the biggest ones.
I find myself trying to psych myself up for the move by repeating phrases like ‘you’ll make new friends’ or ‘you don’t need friends to be happy’, but that’s really not the point, is it? I’m going to miss the friends I’ve made here, that in the absence of family have become like family. I will always miss these people that have been there for me and my family through school, miscarriage, surgeries, broken down cars*, house buying, babies, potty training and all that life brings. They have shown me how to do new things. They have circled my children with love and acceptance and let me come over in stained pants and t-shirts. They have listened to me complain, laughed at bad jokes and shared play dates, holidays and sacred family moments.They talk to me about the Gospel and housecleaning and have challenged and expanded the way I think. I honestly cannot fathom replacing them with better. I feel like my close girlfriends here have really taught me what it means to be a woman and a mother.
*Did you know I got 4 flat tires in one year, 3 in places that were not near my house with hungry, screaming children inside and two resulting in a car tow- totally not fair!
I am going to miss our house. It’s really not much to look at, just a white, three store little town house that is only 950 square feet with a tiny front and back yard, but I have loved it since the moment we bought it. I loved it when it was just James and I and a sledge hammer, banging out a wall for renovations on the day we closed. We (probably should be more like James) pretty much remodeled and redid the entire house, from an entire redo of the kitchen from the studs up to finishing the basement portion. I loved it when we got to turn our office into a little nursery, and brought home a tiny, sleeping Louis into the living room. I loved it when we cooked together in the eat-in kitchen and made countless mistakes at the stove. I loved its pull down attic, the desk we built under the stairs and the tiny yard I planted a pathetic garden in every year. I have countless pictures of our kids against the living room’s hardwood floor, the grey bedroom walls, and the scratched up kitchen table. I know that objects do not have feelings, but I can’t help think that the house might miss us a little too.
I am crazy about the church ward we attend here. It is so diverse and different. People there have served us so much, in so many different ways. I loved working with the youth and watching them grow and blossom into such beautiful girls and I loved working with the kids and learning how to navigate their crazy energy. I loved watching people’s lives change as they started to come to Church and follow Christ. I felt it was a restart for my own spiritual growth every time I witnessed someone embracing Christ for the first time. I couldn’t help but cry as we left on Sunday watching building that I loved get smaller in my rearview mirror. It has been a wonderful place for me to worship and grow closer to God.
This has been my home for almost seven years and I can honestly say I have loved it and tried to experience all it has to offer. James and I both agree that we were definitely guided in coming here for my graduate school just shortly after we married. We feel like Boston is the place that our little family was really formed and solidified. So as I say my goodbyes this week to places and people that I love so much, I’m not trying to hide my emotions or tears like I normally would. I’m letting myself tell people how much they’ve meant to me and trying to say goodbye to all the little things that have made me feel at home. I want to feel like I’ve said my goodbyes and at peace with leaving this wonderful place.
Goodbye Boston, we will miss you.


12 comments:
That post just made me bawl like a baby! But I'm going to blame it on pregnancy hormones.
I HATE moving. Especially when you love a place so much. That's exactly how I felt about Columbus, and I still miss my little house and driving down our tree lined street. Mostly I miss the people though, so be prepared for a long (almost 3 yrs!) adjustment perioud!
i'm sad for you, too. i'm so glad you guys took full advantage of all the opportunities, friends and adventures that Boston has to offer. i miss you a ton, too-even though i'm not still there. and you made a HUGE impact on my life. you are a great example of all that's good. good luck with all your goodbyes.
Okay, so I've never even been to Boston. But I'm all teared up reading that. I truly believe that wherever you live, if you truly unpack your bags and immerse yourself in the life you have there, it is always hard to leave. I felt it leaving little old Laramie after 6 and a half years, and I can't even imagin moving now! At least you get to move somewhere beautiful. I'm sad I never came to Boston and visited while you lived there--I was very close to planning a trip about 3 years ago--so maybe I'll have to come to Hawaii sometime!
So sad that you live only four hours from me right now and I've never visited. Maybe I'll come see you in HI. P.S. Laie is AMAZING!!! I'm sure you've been, but I was there for a semester and LOVED it! It will be awesome...eventually. (Change is hard.)
Melissa, you have described the feeling that I am sure many of us have leaving "home". Not the home we grow up in, not the temporary home of a school experience, but the first place we call home as adults. I still cannot call Ohio home, Denali is still home to me and after 4 years I still miss the place, people and feeling of community we had there. But new places bring such exciting new experiences, people and opportunities. Safe travels to all of you, and thanks for a wonderful post to read.
Your Cousin Eric
I got all teary-eyed reading that! Of course I can soooo relate and it makes me want to go back and write a half as beautiful blog post - it was just too hard at the time.
I read somewhere once that the house you bring your first baby home to will always be your Bethlehem - the sacred place where you become a mother, and horribly hard to leave. I don't know why, but it killed me to leave the house where I learned to be a mother.
Anyway, I feel your pain, and I wish you all the wonderful experiences in your move and new start that we have had with ours!
Boston misses you right back. In so many ways :(.
Missila,
That post made me so sad and happy and sad again. Thanks for sharing and I know, know, know, you will have many more of those amazing experiences wherever you are the rest of your life, well because, that's just who you are AMAZING. Miss you lots and think of you often.
Love, Christine
You are quite possibly the coolest family we've ever known. You'll be dearly missed...already are. I made Kalua pork on Friday and it wasn't as juicy as yours. good...but not as good as yours. Best as you build your home in Hawaii!
We were similarly sad when we had to leave Boston. Even though we knew it was the right time for us to go, there's just so much to love about the area.
We keep saying that we'll go back some day. Hopefully life wont' get in the way of that plan. ;)
Post a Comment