I’m often asked what it’s like to have children so close
together. Mostly it’s asked in kind of a
mystified pitying sort of way, often preceded with a phrase like ‘You’ve got
your hands full!’. Then people usually
conjecture whether it is easier or harder to space children out, relate their
own experience and proclaim that James and I definitively crazy (maybe they
just do that last part with their eyes, but almost everyone says “ I could never do that”).
Just to clarify, we certainly don’t have the closest
children I’ve seen, particularly in Mormon families. Louis and Elsie are 21 months apart. Elsie and Pearl are 18 months apart and Pearl
and the new baby will be 22 months apart, our “record” for child spacing. Louis will have just turned five a month
before this new baby is born. So they
are close, but nothing to make the Guinness Book of world records. I see plenty of families here with kids that
close and they do things wonderfully.
Anyway, that’s not really the point of this post. I get a lot of questions and people always
weigh in on whether it is easier or harder to have them close together and it’s
made me think- is it easier to have them
close together or further apart?
And here is my glorified opinion: It is harder to have kids close together….. about half of the time. And it is easier to have your kids close together
… about half the time. Translation:
That’s a really dumb question. The
longer I have my own kids, see my family members and friends with theirs and
just live life I think speculating like this on family size, spacing and
methods are just plain old waste of time.
Having kids close together is a lot of work when they are
young. There are constant messes to
clean up and for a while you are just a servant to little mouths and insistent demands. The first six months after Pearl was born
were particularly demanding for me. But
now that she’s 18 months there are definite advantages- they will disappear
together and play for significant amounts of time! Louis and Elsie are constantly chatting and
playing- running around making up imaginary worlds that are just adorable. I love to listen to them play. They have built in playmates and the play
dates I used to crave and need when Louis was two don’t have the same
significance anymore since they are always playing together. Will this make them better friends later in
life? I’d like to think so, but all the
research indicates that not really the case- it is more a matter of luck and
whether they actually like each other as adults. I’ve seen families with lots of space in
between siblings that still have very tight knit relationships.
There are things that I do worry about- will they get enough
attention as individuals? I love my big
family, but absolutely craved individual adult attention. Will the middle children feel neglected? Did they get enough attention as babies when
they were pushed out of the nest before they even turned two? I see families with three to four years
between each kid and watch how much they are just able to enjoy their little babies,
without a toddler also needing a lot of love.
It looks delightful.
Anyway, I think you get the point. There are advantages and worries to anyway
you create your family. The only thing
that makes it perfect is that it’s your family.
I absolutely love having our kids close together despite that chaos and
hard work of caring for multiple young ‘uns because they are ours- and this is
our family’s story. So when people ask
me dumb questions like if I’m tired or tell me I have my hands full I just
smile and tell them it’s great, because really, it is.
3 comments:
I haven't checked anybody's blogs for ages. But then I checked yours, and you wrote about something that I was exactly thinking. We wanted to have our first 2 closer together, but it's going to be about 34 months apart, which is like a century in Mormon years. However, there are some particular benefits, which we are realizing now, and for the next year. The cons are that, like you say, the kids won't be that close in age. So the question we're asking now, is "How long should we wait for kid #3?" What if we start trying early to avoid complications, but then get lucky and have them super close? Or do we wait and then it takes a while, so we have another largish gap? I guess we'll just deal with it. "Come what may, and love it."
I find it a little hilarious that I read this post and thought, "Hmmm...I wonder who else left a comment?" and it happens to be my husband.
I think that when it comes to parenting there are a lot of ridiculous questions/opinions that people feel the need to share. It's one thing if you are having a discussion with your friends/family but unsolicited comments are just annoying to me. Like it really matters! Have 1 kid or 15! Have them back-to-back or 5 years between! Whatever works for you and you decide to deal with, but people can't help themselves...
My all time favorite thing is when people "tell" you things about yourself when you're pregnant. My boss is convinced that I have gotten bigger with this pregnancy than I did with the first. She makes daily comments about just how BIG my belly is. Hmmm...that's funny, because my doctor's measurements and the scale tell me I'm actually a bit smaller than the first time, but please, tell me how sure you are...
Sorry, I'm rambling...I hope you are feeling well!
Melissa! I totally agree with you here! I think that there are pro's and con's to both, and so I think It's totally up to how you think you can handle it. Can you handle having a ton of little ones at home, or you you want little ones mixed with practices, and school, and lessons, trying to mix naps and baby schedules with all of that. Totally a personal preference I think.
It's like when I get asked if the twins are easier now or harder. Most often I think easier, but there are times that even at 7 they are HARD. Harder than my other two put together. Just like you said. It's what works for you, and your circumstances. I thought it was a good post! Cause I get this question all the time!
Post a Comment