Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Toyland

I have been waiting for that magical moment when Louis sees a toy, smiles and actually wants to play with it. I've thought it would be so nice for him to be more interested in something other than me.

That day came on Sunday, when I put him down under his mobile. He saw his farm toy, rolled over and it began mauling it with hands, mouth and slober. He was entranced. He played with it for nearly 20 minutes, a long time in baby world. He even figured out how to keep the music going. As I calmly ate my breakfast and got ready for Church I though about how great this new development was. Now Louis would actually be entertained during waking hours by something other than my weird noises, terrible singing and distorted faces.

When I went to get him to get ready to go, something terrible happened. He wouldn't look at me- his eyes were still glued to the toy. I tried to talk to him, anything to get his eye contact, but no- he had a new love now. I abandoned kind tactics and picked him up to put on his coat. He screamed, shook his little fists and started crying. Strangely, I felt a twinge of resentment towards the toy and had to resist the urge to kick it across the room as I walked by.

We learn lots about ourselves when we become mothers. Who knew I would get jealous of a toy?

3 comments:

chloe said...

I can totally picture you kicking the toy. Ha ha ha!

Susie said...

Just you wait. I was just thinking today about how nervous I was when I got pregnant with Rachel because I had no idea how I was going to entertain two kids and nurse a baby at the same time. After all, Lily was only 13 months when I got pregnant, and Anna (being a first child) was still not much of a self-entertainer. Nowadays they all play together so well that they'd rather I not entertain them. Kind of a relief and kind of sad at the same time. I must need to be needed. You too?

Unknown said...

Just wait 'til he discovers TV... A fabulous babysitter, a terrible distraction. A blessing and a curse.