Friday, June 6, 2008

Batter Up

I like being a Sox fan. I know people will tell me that I just jumped on the bandwagon when I moved here, and that I did . But since I was from a state that had no professional sports teams of any kind, I think its OK that I adopt first baseball team I've ever lived near.


Anyway, last night James and I went with some friends to a Red Sox game. There are many things I like about being a Sox fan that I was reminded of during the game.


1) I like how anyone and everyone here is a Red Sox fan. You look around and there is every kind of person you could imagine donning their favorite players' jersey and blue cap. Can you imagine the goths of your high school putting on the highschool colors and actually attending a football game? School spirit was way beneath the stoners, goths, drama peeps, etc. But go to a Red Sox game and you see them all -- decked out in all the Red Sox garb they can pull out of their closet.


2) I love that as you walk to the game (in your own Red Sox shirt, pants, hat and a scarf if you can find it), people start talking and yelling encouraging words to you. James and I parked next to the T last night and on the way from the car to the subway a woman pulled down her car window to wish us luck, another man gave us the thumbs up from across the streets, and in the T people gave knowing nods of approval.


3) The people getting tipsy at the game are quite entertaining. Last night I heard one of my all time favorite quotes, compliments of the two girls next to me that finished four beers a piece before we even hit the sixth inning.

Drunk Girl 1: (after climbing over the seat from behind to get into her seat, while holding a beer and trying not to fall over) Dude, that kid behind us is DIRTY! Kids are so dirty, yuck!
Drunk Girl 2: Really, why is he all dirty?
Drunk Girl 1: Because I just stepped on him with my dirty shoe.
Drunk Girl 2: Yeah, that's cool dude.


Brilliance.


4) And on some nights, you get to witness some real baseball magic. Last night was such a night.



That's right folks, we got to witness the dugout clearing, forty person pile up, mess of a fight on the pitchers mound started by Coco Crisp. Its a good thing that professional baseball players kind of hit like girls, so no one was hurt.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Though I am no sport fan, that would be so entertaining to see a full-on feild fight! But it sounds like fun to be a sports fan in a town like Boston! So, I'm heading off to girl's camp for four days in a couple weeks, and I'm not gonna lie...I'm pretty nervous about leaving my garden to Eric!? I'm just not so sure he can be trusted not to dehydrate and kill everything! I guess we really are our mother's daughters!? lol!

Kent said...

It's okay to jump on the bandwagon if you had no previous team. But no talking trash if you don't regularly follow box scores.

Being a Cardinals fan, I did not switch over to the Sox, plus I like being a contrarian, so going against the local team is kind of fun. Unless you have a couch riding on it.

I will say that nothing is quite like going to Fenway. It's the best park in the majors, and I've been to 20, so I feel like I can say that. Definitely better than Wrigley.

Melanie said...

And trust me, if you are a "fair-weather fan" Kent will call you on it. If I can't list all the stats for a BC team in a season, he turns his nose up and says I can't claim to be a TRUE fan...

Unknown said...

I am jealous--and I thought I had seen it all at Fenway. I think I will steal your argument for those who accuse me of being a fair weather fan--no baseball teams where I come from either.

danne said...

I laughed so hard watching that Tetris game! I have to show Dan.