Thursday, January 17, 2008

Forwarded Emails

I don't know if anyone else has been forwarded the email message which I'm about to complain about, but this morning was the third time I received it and it continues to really upset me. I get lots of forwards which are annoying, stupid and most of the time just junk, but this one really is ticking me off.

The one I'm referring to is the slandering, half truth email about Barack Obama and his interactions with the Muslim religion. First of all, I would like to say that I in no way support Obama in this election, and although I find him a very engaging speaker and motivator, my views on most issues vary greatly from his.

The email outlines several 'facts' about Barack's upbringing and affiliation with the Muslim religion, pointing out that his natural and step father were both 'fanatical' Muslims. The email also claims that he joined the Church of Christ as a way to mask his affiliation with the Muslim faith, using it only as a tool to gain votes in a largely Christian nation. Basically, the email claims that Barack is a Muslim in Christians' clothing that is trying to take over the US and turn it over to Muslim terrorists.

My favorite is how the email starts, I will let you read it for yourself:
" Who is Barack Obama?
Very interesting and something that should be considered in your choice. If you do not ever forward anything else, please forward this to all your contacts...this is very scary to think of what lies ahead of us here in our own United States...better heed this and pray about it and share it."

As a person of the LDS faith, I would be saddened to see my non LDS friends forwarding an email about Mitt Romney (of whom I am not a supporter either) taking small facts about his life or his religion, blowing them out of proportion or taking them out of context and then claiming that he is not a Christian. I should mention that all of the forwarded emails I've gotten are from LDS people, which saddens me even more. I was surprised that LDS members who know personally what it feels like to have lies told about their religion would be party to spreading the same kind of malicious half truths and misinterpretations that we have to live with daily.

I don't want to write too much more about it, because then I'll start to get really angry. I'll just leave this post and refrain from talking about my second least favorite forward, 'Beware of the Mr. Clean Magic Sponge'- I love them and am still going to use them! What idiot would give their 3 year old a chemical sponge and be surprised they got burnt is beyond me anyway.

6 comments:

Ann said...

AMEN!

Jennifer Lee said...

I have seen that email and could not agree with you more. It made me so angry to read and to think that people would believe something that is clearly a long, far stretch of what is truth.

Susie said...

Love Mr. Clean!
Also, I'd be interested to here a Massachusetts resident's perspective on Mitt Romney, so, when you get a minute...

turleybenson said...

OH MY GOSH! I haven't seen it, but you know my feeling on forwards in general. That makes me so mad.

People, it's all about Snopes.com. Look it up.

Susie said...

Ha! Can I edit my comment? Can't believe I wrote "here" instead of "hear". SO embarrassing...

Ellis family said...

I agree! That's just sad! I hate election years for that very reason. I feel like people need to grow up and leave personal stuff out! For the record living in Illinois for 3 years, Obama's dad was muslim, but not fanatical, so that's a blatant lie. Even if he was that dosen't define Obama's beliefs.(not a obama supporter either) Amen to everything you wrote!